Southern Youth and Family Services (SYFS) is governed by a community based Board of Management. The Board operates from the Constitution and the Policies and Procedures of the Organisation.
The Board comprises a wide range of people from various backgrounds and has a wealth of community work and welfare experience that enhances the governance and operations of the Organisation.
The Board is made up of an Executive, General Board Membership, and is assisted by ex officio specialist advisers and external assistance as needed. The Board also has positions for target group representation.
The SYFS Board
Jenny Thompson - President
Jenny has many years of experience working in human service delivery including the Hospital system and Family Planning. Jenny taught at TAFE in the welafre area for many years till becoming the Faculty Dean Human Services, Tourism and Hospitality, TAFE NSW Illawarra Institute. Jenny currently works with Wollongong City Council as the Manager, Community Cultural and Library Services.
Selina Company - Youth Representative
Robyn Firmin - Youth Representative
The current Board is made up of individuals who bring a wide range of expertise and experiences. There is many years of skilled and effective communtiy management between the Board Members. Areas of expertise include:
- Child protection
- Health including family planning, nursing, mental health and drug and alcohol interventions including counselling
- Education, training, vocational assessment
- Social housing, tenancy support
- Family support
- Out of Home care, foster care
- Income security, Centrelink systems
- Supported accomodation
- Community sevrice management
- Data collection, evaluation
- Disability services
- Behaviour management
- Agency management, administration, program design and development
- Financial management, investment
- Human resource management
- Advocacy, community development, lobbying, policy development
- Justice, criminal justice system, juvenile justice
- Indigenous affairs and culture
- Early intervention